Events Manager and Development Coordinator (Starting April 2018)
Hunters Point Parks Conservancy supports two parks on the Long Island City Waterfront: Hunters Point Park, which is owned by the City, and Gantry Plaza State Park. We are a 501(c)3 organization that began 20 years ago as a neighborhood friends group. Since Hunters Point Park opened in 2013, we’ve grown substantially and we are looking for our first full-time employee to continue that growth.
This past summer, we coordinated and funded over 100 events such as:
- Cinema LIC - 5 outdoor movies
- Summer Kids - Over 40 free activities at LIC Landing for children that drew several thousand children
- Our Annual LIC Post 5K Run, which includes children’s races and walkers with dogs
- Over 20 gardening events throughout both Gantry and Hunters Point parks
- Wednesdays on the Waterfront featuring live music, salsa and dance
- Yoga and meditation
- Many other family friendly activities
We are hiring a full-time Events Manager and Development Coordinator who would plan, schedule and manage events. Because this is a new position, and a growing organization, the time spent on these activities, and the activities themselves, are subject to change, and would shift depending upon the season. Additionally during the winter season the focus of this position will be on fundraising.
We are looking for a go-getter who is enthusiastic about helping us grow our funding and events, and who wants to participate in our growth. This position reports to the president of the board of directors.
- Grants -- new and/or repeating
- Corporate Donors
- Gardening - Corporations
- Major Individual Members - President’s Council
- Membership Records - Administrative
- Social media calendar and implementation
- Weekly newsletter
- Flyers - Create and arrange for printing
- Posters and postcards and banners - develop and distribute
- Website - make routine updates
Event Scheduling and Management:
- Schedule events, get paperwork, manage invoices
- Attend events, sign ups, tickets, collect donations and/or sell tickets
- Order supplies for events
- Kids and Parents events
- Volunteer recruitment
- Attend events as needed
Unique Aspects of the Position, Specialized Knowledge, and Skills
This person will be entrepreneurial and goal driven, enjoy working with people and committed to developing relationships with community leaders, park goers and potential donors. The events management component of this job will require strong project management skills, vision to imagine new programming, flexibility and strong social media skills. The fundraising component will require strong writing, and research skills. The ideal candidate will be a local resident and be involved in the western Queens community.
Send your resume, salary requirements, and a cover letter outlining how you would grow our organization that incorporates your past experience and outlines how it would be helpful. Email email@example.com by February 28, 2018.