Meet dance specialist Israel Martinez, an impressive director and choreographer who has created his own dance community here in Queens. Martinez Dance Studios will be hosting this week’s Waterfront Wednesday Salsa Party, as well as Sunday Sunset Salsa, so take a few minutes to read about Israel and how he has been involved in the world of dance.
1. First off, quick background info! Tell us your name, where you’re from, and what you do.
I'm Israel Martinez, originally from the Bronx and have been a resident of Queens for 25 Years. I am a director, choreographer, and event specialist with three businesses: Martinez Dance Studio, Taino Theatre, and LIC Events and Entertainment.
2. How’d you get into dance? How long have you been dancing and how long have you had your dance studio?
I got into dance because of my family - I grew up surrounded by music and dance. I've been a professional dancer my entire adult life, and Martinez Dance Studio has been in business for over 25 years.
3. What’s your favorite thing about what you do?
My favorite thing is that I get to cultivate, inspire, create, and build community.
4. How is teaching/performing in the park different than your typical venue?
I enjoy teaching at the park because of its direct contact with the community while celebrating diversity and unity.
5. When you’re not teaching, what is your favorite thing to do in the parks?
I like to relax and watch the sunset.
7. How do you motivate/energize yourself when you’re feeling lazy?
I go to the gym and start with a light workout - which always turns into a full workout. You have to trick your mind. Laziness is a negative habit, and I avoid it at all costs. There's a difference between resting and laziness.